Back to all openings
Fandom powered by Wikia is the world’s largest entertainment fan site. As the fan's voice in entertainment, it's where you can find and share news, commentary, stories, and knowledge on your favorite shows, movies, games and more. Launched in 2006, Fandom currently boasts 360,000+ fan communities and a global audience of over 190 million monthly uniques and growing.
About your role:
As part of the video team, the Video Producer will play a significant role in helping to create unique video content across the Fandom network. Aside from having advanced experience in operating professional camera gear and editing, it is necessary for the video producer to show strong narrative sensibilities. Additionally, applicants who have extensive experience working for media companies, creating original branded content, short films, narrative features and documentaries will be preferred.
The Fandom video team is still in its infancy with a long term goal for growth and development. We are looking for people that can impact the team in various ways. We are seeking people who can be leaders, but are still willing to learn as well as people who want to learn with the determination to lead. This position will challenge you professionally, but will also empower you to be as creative as possible.
This position will be based in Santa Monica, California.
You will be expected to do this every day:
- Produce, shoot, and edit various video features on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Work with Fandom Editorial teams in contributing new and creative ideas for video content on Fandom’s main site and it’s syndicated channels (YouTube, Facebook, etc.)
- Work with Fandom’s Social Team to create content for it’s various social channels
- Work with editorial writing scripts for a specific show(s)
- Work with various hosts for particular shows and produce them in a professional manner
- Work with various editorial staff to produce and nurture their on-camera presence
- Participate in production meetings with various departments (editorial and sales) to discuss potential video projects and ideal production workflows
- Cover a variety of conventions and entertainment events
- Create a video for an original idea each month - can be short film, spec commercial, etc.
- Build and manage relationships with network/studio PR contacts and creators in order to secure content for Fandom and relevant Wikia communities
- Coordinate with studio and agency contacts to attend press events and conduct interviews with talent/creatives
- Maintain expert-level status by staying up on current entertainment news (movies, TV, games, etc.)
- Utilize analytics tools to track and optimize content
Production Weekly hours tend to be somewhat normal, but can be irregular depending on the project or event. During these times, there is a high possibility of working long hours as well as working on the weekends.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Opportunities to be creative and have your ideas heard
- Opportunities to develop narrative and production skills
- Growth as a professional
- Regular domestic and international travel required as part of the position - Video Producers can spend short or long periods of time away from home
- A lot of work, but options to work from home may be considered (discretion of supervisor)
...an aggressive, energetic, enthusiastic, creative team player and self-starter - an excellent shooter, editor and producer who will be able to hit the ground running with very little oversight or training necessary.
- 5 years + minimum production experience or working at a media company
- Broad understanding of video cameras and basics of camera control, shutter speeds, apertures, lens types, filters and effects.
- Experience with and knowledge of video editing software, media codecs, streaming technology, and extensive motion graphics experience
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and/or Avid is extremely important. After Effects and Photoshop experience is a huge plus.
- Knowledgeable in latest production and post production hardware
- Quick to identify key-video opportunities for Fandom’s audience that can be produced effectively and efficiently
- Ability to tell a story visually
- Ability to be resourceful
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team or on your own
- Stamina, persistence, enthusiasm, motivation and a proactive manner
- The ability to remain calm and level headed under pressure
- Initiative, flexibility, adaptability, common sense and problem solving skills
- Sound administrative and organization skills
- Ability to prioritize and cope with last minute changes (scripts, production schedules) while under pressure
- Patience and the ability to manage team and client expectations.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Passion for pop culture and love of cinema, knowledge of movies, TV, comics and video games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent overall work ethic
Bonus points if you...
- Motion Graphics experience
- Active on various social media channels (Facebook, Snapchat, Youtube, etc.)
- Understanding how to incorporate video into various social media platforms
- Film Geek, Gamer, Comic Lover, Foodie
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Annual Training Budget per Employee
- The possibility of working visits to our offices globally; Poznan, New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Cologne and London
- Periodic Team Lunches and Happy Hour
- Full pantry complete with coffee, a variety of drinks, cookies and healthy food options
- Employee Interest and Hobby Groups supported by the company
- Flexible working hours
- International work environment with start-up culture