Back to all openings
VP of Revenue Strategy
Fandom powered by Wikia is the world’s largest entertainment fan site. As the fan's voice in entertainment, it's where you can find and share news, commentary, stories, and knowledge on your favorite shows, movies, games and more. Launched in 2006, Fandom currently boasts 360,000+ fan communities and a global audience of over 190 million monthly uniques and growing.
About your role:
The VP of Revenue Strategy will work directly with senior leadership across all departments to develop the strategies, tactics, and tools necessary to maximize the yield of each revenue channel including providing timely forecasts and recommendations to identify and maximize revenue opportunities. The qualified candidate will need to be a seasoned revenue management and analytics professional capable of building industry-leading tools and processes. Candidates will also have to possess strong executive presence, business acumen and presentation skills.
We’re seeking an exceptional individual to measure, track and direct Fandom’s revenue channels towards our primary growth objectives based on revenue and profit. We’re a small, fast-moving team and this is a rare opportunity to make a big impact on an established high-growth business.
- Articulate vision, strategy, positioning, and goals for Revenue Strategy [This role requires someone to be able to understand and synthesize data, take strategic action on the data and most importantly, verbalize and explain findings to others]
- Act as the primary point of contact for all Revenue Management questions
- Define and implement competitive pricing strategy based on business and financial objectives, market and competitive analyses, and pricing capabilities
- Provide guidance on pricing strategies and revenue management decisions [This role doesn’t have direct control over cost side, but is highly influential on revenue side – achieving highest prices to achieve optimal yield and optimal revenue mix]
- Optimize pricing and inventory to maximize long-term gross margin
- Create models to forecast future performance and model the impact of changes within revenue channels and new initiatives on revenue and service delivery
- Help to align and measure business activities to revenue impacting outcomes
- Lead analysis of sales and profitability data to make recommendations and to execute against strategic initiatives and growth objectives
- Provide clear communication on external and internal trends, health of each revenue channel and estimated impacts of decisions in one channel on other channels
- Foster and promote an internal personal network of both peers and other executives to gain their input and support on the business objectives
- In partnership with engineering, seek out and evaluate new technology, solutions and partnerships in order to develop new revenue opportunities
- Collaborate with sales and sales leadership to understand pressing business needs and act as a strategic thought partner to address those needs
- Manage, develop, and mentor staff by continuously monitoring the quality of work, reviewing forecasts and tracking key financial metrics, participating in operating reviews, and advising on pricing and yielding decisions
In the first 6-12 months, we expect the candidate to lead and own these projects / areas:
- Revenue Strategy: Define strategic goals around what we sell, how we sell and how we fulfill products across all advertising revenue channels. Responsible for tracking and reporting on revenue and interdependencies (inventory, yield, profit margin, etc.) across revenue channels.
- Competitive Pricing Strategy: Assess, measure and improve current rates and pricing across all revenue channels. Ensure each channel has the most appropriate products available and establish rules around assigning products to a channel.
- Indirect Revenue Channel: Take on management and oversight of fulfillment and management of inventory, pricing, strategy across all revenue channels and markets in which premium direct sales is not covering (includes: network & ad partnerships, inbound programmatic, ad delivery to ad blocking users, etc.). Team is responsible for tracking and reporting on revenue trends and for exploring ways to optimize partnerships to increase revenue, minimize costs and maximize benefit to Fandom’s total revenue goals.
- Inventory modeling: In partnership with SVP Business Operations & Intelligence, determine appropriate solution for inventory needs (includes but not limited to; ad hoc requests within Ad Operations, regular inventory sell through reporting, yield/inventory management system, scenario modeling to aid in business decisions, etc.).
- Revenue modeling: In partnership with SVP Business Operations & Intelligence and COO, execute a plan to take over existing revenue model providing business with regular updates, scenarios and recommendations to aid in business decisions.
- Automated revenue channels: Investigate new revenue channels and working cross functionally to determine if and how to pursue (ex: trading desk, automate buying, etc.).
- Requires 10+ years of online advertising experience
- [This role requires a background in the online media space; a thorough understanding of the ways premium publishers sell and package inventory as well as a deep understanding of sales, marketing and operations]
- 5-7 years experience in consulting, financial analysis, or hands-on strategy/analytics role
- 5-7 years demonstrating knowledge of products, services, systems and operations
- MBA preferred and/or BA in a quantitative field (Economics, Applied Math, engineering)
- Analytical background and experience with financial modeling and statistical analysis
- Must be able to work in a deadline-oriented environment, ensuring yielding decisions and management communication is occurring in a timely fashion across all geographic areas of operations
- [This role requires the ability to ruthlessly prioritize time to ensure you (and your team) are only focusing on things which drive the most value for Fandom]
- Ability to develop clear frameworks for complex, ambiguous problems
- Identifies opportunities to improve business processes to impact to result in increased sales effectiveness and performance
- Proven track record of creating a clear view of the future state that mobilizes people to focus efforts and work toward key goals
- Entrepreneurial skills and thought processes are highly desirable; must be willing to push the envelope in seeking and implementing new thought processes and ideas that have a demonstrable impact on operating income
- Ability to build organizational talent - puts together the right people in the right roles and creates teams and/or organizational structures to support high performance and advance business objectives
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Annual Training Budget per Employee
- The possibility of working visits to our offices globally; Poznan, New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Cologne and London
- Periodic Team Lunches and Happy Hour
- Full pantry complete with coffee, a variety of drinks, cookies and healthy food options
- Employee Interest and Hobby Groups supported by the company
- Flexible working hours
- International work environment with start-up culture