Last year, EA started an event for Need for Speed Payback called Abandoned Cars. Every week, your game will update with an abandoned car left somewhere out in the world, just waiting for you to claim it.
These are cars that the Street Leagues may have been driving, but you previously didn’t have access to. You do now, and it’s free — but only for a limited amount of time.
In the recent June Update, all ten Street League boss cars were made available:
- Aki Kimura’s Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero.
- Big Sister’s Ford Mustang.
- Faith Jones’ Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.
- “Gallo” Rivera’s Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 2.8.
- Holtzman’s Chevrolet C10 Stepside Pickup.
- La Catrina’s Nissan Fairlady 240ZG.
- Mitko Vasilev’s Nissan GT-R Premium.
- Natalia “SuperNova” Nova’s Pagani Huayra BC.
- Udo Roth’s Subaru Impreza WRX STI.
- Underground Soldier’s Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (1993).
There was also an undetermined amount of “classic” Need for Speed cars added, and all of these now appear on a rotating roster between seven different locations.
Of course, you’re not just going to drive around looking on every street, like a chump. That’s where we come in. We got you covered fam.
How to Claim Abandoned Cars
It’s not enough just to reach the car. In true Need for Speed fashion, you’ll have to high tail it back to a safe spot with the cops on your tail.
You won’t be shown where the car is until you’re close enough. At that point there will be a special icon above the vehicle, you’ll see a notification and it will be marked on the map.
As soon as you enter the car, the Fortune Valley Police Department will start pursuing you like it was staking it out all along. You need to make it all the way back to Rav’s workshop to be safe, and the car will be yours.
Getting caught will reset the event, but there are no other restrictions. Take as much time as you want — but you do have to claim the car within its one week window.
How Can I Get the New Car?
The newest abandoned car is the Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero. It’s the Aki Kimura version of the car — find it at Mount Vista Point in Mount Providence.
Here’s where it is on the map:
And here’s what it looks like on location:
You’ll only be able to claim it this week, up until the 21st of August. At the stroke of midnight (UTC), it disappears. After that, who knows what we’ll see — the event has already gone well into overtime (by a matter of months) and Ghost is repeating cars.
If the car has changed, be sure to check the seven locations they’re known to appear in.
The earliest rotation of abandoned cars were:
- Mazda RX-7 Spirit R (Silver Canyon)
- Volvo Amazon P130 (Mount Providence)
- Volvo 242 DL (Silver Rock)
- BMW M3 Evolution II E30 (Mount Providence)
- Plymouth Barracuda (Newhaven Cabins)
- Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (C10) (Silver Dam Lookout)
Don’t stick to the above locations, though. The abandoned car locations change every week. Be sure to check back here for details!
If you missed out on one of these abandoned cars, there originally wasn’t a way to get them in Need for Speed Payback. But since the start of 2018, Ghost has been rotating them regularly, so a weekly login should net you all of them.