Next year, we’re getting another Alien movie. The prequel, now called Alien: Covenant, isn’t just a sequel to Prometheus. It’s also a true prequel to Ridley Scott’s 1979 masterpiece, and will feature all the classic creatures seen in that film (plus a few surprises).
So it makes total sense that Fox, in preparation for the first proper Alien film since 1997, is cranking the hype machine hard this year. The next big turns of the crank will happen on Tuesday, Apr. 26, which Fox is calling Alien Day. Why April 26? Because the planet featured in Alien and Aliens is called LV-426, of course! Consider this Fox’s equivalent of Disney’s Star Wars Day. There’s gonna be a huge release of exciting new merchandise and a big social media push, including an exciting trivia game that will take place on Twitter, through the @AlienAnthology account. See the official rules here.
The last time Fox had an Alien Day was back in 2009, when Alien turned 30. Here’s what Fox has planned for us this year:
• Thanks to a collaboration with Drafthouse cinemas, Alien and Aliens will return to theaters in over 20 cities across the US. The movies will run as a double feature! Go here to buy tickets. The ticket price also includes an exclusive Mondo tee (below).
• Funko is releasing an Aliens Queen & Power Loader and Ripley set as part of their ReAction line, which brings back classic action figures of yesteryear.
• Loot Crate will launch a limited-edition Aliens 30th Anniversary crate filled with exclusive merch.
• Dark Horse Comics is releasing a deluxe 30th anniversary hardcover of the its classic 1986 run of Aliens comics. Also, they’re partnering with DC to re-release the Batman/Aliens comics for the first time in over a decade!
• Zen Studios, makers of Zen Pinball 2, will launch three digital pinball tables via iTunes, Google Play, PlayStation Network, XBOX Live and Steam.
• Fright Rags, maker of the best horror shirts ever, will release the kick-ass tee you see below! The shirt will be limited to 426 units, so buy yours as soon as you can.
We will also see exciting new merch from The Upper Deck company (new trading cards!), Hot Toys, Kotobukiya, Insight Editions, Sideshow Collectibles, Super 7, Medicom Toy, Hollywood Collectibles, and more.
But the big thing, the super cool amazing thing, is that Reebok is bringing us the Alien Stomper Sneakers, which are exact replicas of the custom Reeboks Ripley wore in Aliens. What’s more, we’re also getting the mid top version of the sneaker that Bishop wears in the film! Click the image below to check ’em out full size, but beware — you might start drooling like a Xenomorph.
The High top and mid top Alien Stomper Sneakers will be available on Reebok.com on Apr. 26, which I’m hoping will be Alien Day for many years to come.