Everyone knows that Captain America: Civil War is introducing a new version of Spider-Man played by Tom Holland. The movie is going to have Spider-Man battling alongside the Avengers, something that has a long complicated history in the comics. Spider-Man was characterized as a loner for the first several decades of his career, which kept him out of teams like the Avengers. It wasn’t until New Avengers #1 by Brian Michael Bendis in 2005 that we really got to see Peter Parker as a regular Avenger. The 10 years since then have given us a lot of great stories. We don’t know if the Marvel Cinematic Universe is acutally going to give us Spider-Man on the Avengers, but here are some great moments from their shared history.
10. The Time He Complimented Everyone’s Posture
Posing is the most important part of a good superhero fight.
9. The Time We Learned He Thinks of His Villains Like a Family
I think we can all relate.
8. The Time Luke Cage Found Out That His Wife Had a Crush on Spider-Man as a Teenager
Apparently, Peter Parker and Jessica Jones went to the same high school.
7. The Time He Had to Babysit While the Mansion Was Under Attack
6. The Time Hawkeye Interrogated Him
They’re still a little sensitive after Secret Invasion.
5. The Time Captain America Got Him to Join the Avengers
It took years of convincing.
4. The Time MJ Reminded Us That Spider-Powers Aren’t What Makes Peter Parker a Hero
Spider-Island gave us a New York City where everyone had spider powers, including the Avengers. You might think this would make Spidey useless, but then you don’t know Spidey. Peter Parker went on the news to teach everyone the lessons about power and responsibility that guided him, rallying the people of New York to fight back against the chaos. In the final battle, it wasn’t Spider-Man’s strength that saved the day… it was Peter Parker’s brain.
3. The Time Spider-Man Single-Handedly Defeated Two Members of the Phoenix Five
During Avengers vs. X-Men, five members of the X-Men were turned into insane gods as the Phoenix Five. The Phoenix Five managed to completely wipe out most of the Avengers, but Spider-Man took down TWO of them himself… and he did it just by taking a beating. Spider-Man was beaten nearly to death by Colossus and Magik until he tricked them into taking each other out.
2. The Time Spider-Man Stood Up to the Rest of the Team
Spidey has been treated like a newcomer for most of his career on the Avengers. During the Avengers/Avengers War it was really nice to see him standing up to the rest of the team and telling them how Avengers are supposed to act.
1. The Time it Finally Started Paying the Bills
After years of being broke while saving the world on a weekly basis, it was nice to see Spidey actually pulling in a regular paycheck.